Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Potter Potter Potter


In honor of "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" releasing on IMAX today (and Leos everywhere), I designed the "Minerva Necklace": http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=28552473; named after Professor Minerva McGonagall, Head of the House of Gryffindor, from the Harry Potter Series.



Being the geek that I am, I gathered the bf and two of our closest friends for the first showing of the movie when it opened at 12:01 AM on 07.15.09. It's the first time that I attended a midnight showing of a newly released movie, and it was well worth the wait (people started lined up at 7 PM or earlier)! Even though a major key part of the novel is cut out of the movie, it has impressive cinematography, stunning special effects, and a good script. It's my favorite movie version of the books so far; a position previously held by movie #3, "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" (because I love Gary Oldman portrayal of Sirius Black).

Anyway, the inspiration for "Minerva Necklace" comes from the adorable sterling silver lion charm in the center. As soon as I found the charm, I knew that I had to make something Harry Potter and or Leo related with it. The gold filled frame is suppose to symbolize a shield, and I made it with hammered 18 gauge gold filled wire, and then wrapped with 24 gauge gold filled wire. I also hammered the gold filled ring on top of the frame to represent a Quidditch goal post, and added the carnelian beads to represent colors from the House of Gryffindor. I enjoyed making this necklace, and I will be sporting my own version of this necklace when we go see Harry Potter again on IMAX! Hooray!



No comments:

Post a Comment